jenn

Murder by Death

This is What a Librarian Looks Like: A Celebration of Libraries, Communities and Access to Information

This Is What a Librarian Looks Like: A Celebration of Libraries, Communities, and Access to Information - Kyle Cassidy

I love this book, but it's not the 5 star read it could be.

Roughy half the book is a collection of essays by various authors (Neil Gaiman, George R.R. Martin, etc) and essays written by Cassidy himself, each focusing on a different library from around the USA.  These essays are excellent; some of them dramatically moving (The Little Library That Tried), and even the ones that are just so-so are very interesting.

The other half of the book is a collection of photos Cassidy took of librarians during the ALA conventions of 2014, 15 and 16, each with a caption underneath quoting the librarian.  These photos are also very cool and I really enjoyed seeing the diversity of faces.  But the captions could have been SO much better.  You don't notice it for the first few pages, but after a while, the sameness of what they're all saying starts to take on a tone of defensiveness and justification.  A better editor or maybe just a better plan at the start, could have thoughtfully cultivated a collection of anecdotes that better expressed all the myriad ways librarians are indispensable, without sounding like they were trying to avoid the axe.

Still, overall, a very excellent book and I'm really, really pleased I took a chance on it.