jenn

Murder by Death

Twilight of the Belle Epoque

Twilight of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Picasso, Stravinsky, Proust, Renault, Marie Curie, Gertrude Stein, and Their Friends Through the Great War - Mary McAuliffe

This is the continuation of Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends and takes the reader through the end of WWI in Paris.

I don't think I have much to say about it beyond it's excellent.  If you're new to McAuliffe's books, think of her style as a narrative timeline; she goes through the year and in a very accessibly style leads the reader through the lives of each the artists, politicians, writers and actors that brought the age to life.  You don't need to read the first one, although she does make references to the events she covered in it.

My only complaint is the same as I remember having in the first book: it's a bit clunky to start - it takes a chapter to get into the swing of things.  But once it does, it reads so well, it's kind of hard to put down.

Highly recommended for anyone who is interested in history as long as it isn't dry.

Book themes for Veteran’s Day/Armistice Day: Read a book involving veterans of any war, books about WWI or WWII (fiction or non-fiction).