jenn

Murder by Death

Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier

One of the most beautifully written books I've ever disliked.  And let's be clear - my 3 stars is my attempt at objectivity, because it is a beautifully written book, and I did dislike it.  A lot.

From the first sentence there's no doubt this story is dripping with dark, forbidding, gothic atmosphere.  By the second page, it's swimming it in.  By chapter 2, it's drowning.  I don't know if du Maurier was trying to pad out a short story, or if she just really wanted to make sure her readers knew this was going to be a dark, dreary, forbidding story; either way, too much of a good thing is still too much.  There might have been some skimming.

I liked Mary well enough, but I was unable to muster any sympathy for poor Aunt Patience; I really just kept hoping someone would push her down the stairs.  I do not much like enablers any more than I like those they enable.  Still, I was really getting into the plot (once I deep dived through all that atmosphere), until I got to the part where Mary meets the vicar.

What is up with the albino trope?  I realise that when this was written the whole thing might have taken readers by surprise, but has there ever been an albino in a book that wasn't the evil villain?

(show spoiler)

At that point, I was truly just reading to get 'er done. There was no way the book was going to surprise me from that moment on.

Aaannnddd then there's the ending.  I liked Mary until that point.  Hell, I liked Jem until that point.  Now, I think they both deserve a horrible ever after.   She should just change her name to Patience and be done with it.