jenn

Murder by Death

Booklikes-opoly: Turn 39 (July 22)

FINALLY!  I've landed on Electric Company organically, instead of relying on Free Parking each time.  Conversely, because of the Free Parking move earlier this month, the location multiplier is in effect.

The options I have for STEM are many in non-fiction, but as we're gearing up to start our Science Book Club, I'm hesitant to start any of them until our books have been selected.  BUT,  I have Please Mr. Einstein by Jean-Claude Carrière that I bought on a whim at the last church book sale, and nobody's more STEM than Einstein, right?  ;)

Please Mr. Einstein - Jean-Claude CarrièreA young woman enters a building in a nameless contemporary European city. She walks into a waiting room where a dozen people, with briefcases or sheaves of documents, are gathered. She is ushered into a large office where she meets Albert Einstein who is engaged in trying to figure out the equation that explains the universe.

He is charmed by her, and agrees to answer her questions. He seems very used to receiving visitors. Among them, Isaac Newton is certainly the most regular and the most argumentative, desperately trying to prove Einstein wrong.

Einstein and the student start discussing the concepts of time and space. He explains his theories about relativity and his responsibility in the creation of nuclear weapons. Einstein also talks about the difficulty of being famous, about his relationship with other scientists and how his dreams of worldwide peace were shattered. He appears bright, witty, hugely sympathetic but also tormented and dreamy.

This is a remarkable book that makes complex concepts of physics and philosophy accessible to the non-scientific reader in a captivating and utterly charming manner.