jenn

Murder by Death

Happy Fourth of July! - and BookLikes-opoly 4th of July Challenge

I'm going to go for the Main Street 13 as part of my Optional 4th of July challenge:

I landed on this space once before (before the rule change so it doesn't count toward a bonus) but didn't get to read the book I chose, so I'm going to crack it open today.

Lincoln as I Knew Him: Gossip, Tributes, and Revelations from His Best Friends and Worst Enemies by Harold Holzer    It just seems the book to read on Independence day.  He's both my favourite president in history, and truthfully, the only one I have a book about.

Lincoln as I Knew Him: Gossip, Tributes, and Revelations from His Best Friends and Worst Enemies - Harold Holzer

This is a fascinating collection of nineteenth-century letters, diary entries, book excerpts, and speeches written by people who actually met Abraham Lincoln. How did abolitionists and slaveholders invited to the White House view him? Why were Lincoln's childhood playmates jealous of him? How did fellow lawyers rate his legal skills?

To all my fellow compatriots, where ever you are in the world - Happy 4th of July and may our government start living up to its own ideals.  Someone light a sparkler for me?