jenn

Murder by Death

BookLikes-opoly: Memorial Day Bonus Books

Moonlight Reader announced Booklikes-opoly bonus rolls in honour of Memorial Day weekend.

Upon completing my rolls (documented in my last post) I dug around the TBR and came up with the following:

For space #8:  Chance - Read a book tagged mystery or has a title that begins with any letter in the world CLUE, I chose Eleventh Grave in Moonlight by Darynda Jones; it begins with an "E" and the MC is a private detective (among other things) solving mysteries (among other things). Page count: 310

Eleventh Grave in Moonlight - Darynda Jones A typical day in the life of Charley Davidson involves cheating husbands, missing people, errant wives, philandering business owners, and oh yeah...demons, hell hounds, evil gods, and dead people. Lots and lots of dead people.

As a part time Private Investigator and full-time Grim Reaper, Charley has to balance the good, the bad, the undead, and those who want her dead.

In this eleventh installment, Charley is learning to make peace with the fact that she is a goddess with all kinds of power and that her own daughter has been born to save the world from total destruction. But the forces of hell are determined to see Charley banished forever to the darkest corners of another dimension.

With the son of Satan himself as her husband and world- rocking lover, maybe Charley can find a way to have her happily ever after after all.

My first roll was a double 5, so I rolled again and landed on: Cars Land 18: Read a book that was published in 2006, 2011, 2013, or 2014 or that has a car on the cover.  I went with Dead End Street by Sheila Connolly because it has a car on the cover (and Dead End Street seemed to play up the car theme).  Page count: 297

Dead End Street - Sheila ConnollyWhen the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society discovers it owns some unique real estate, a deadly plot unfolds . . .

Society president Nell Pratt believes life is finally going her way. Everything’s running smoothly at work, and her love life is thriving. Then some unexpected news rocks her foundation. Two members of a local neighborhood rescue program, Tyrone Blakeney and Cherisse Chapman, inform Nell that her society owns an abandoned row house in a rundown area of Philadelphia and they insist on taking her to see the property before its date with the wrecking ball.

But soon after they arrive at the house, Cherisse is fatally shot and Tyrone is badly injured. The police believe it’s just random violence in a bad neighborhood, but Nell thinks there’s more to it and is determined to find answers before someone else becomes history . . .

My second offical bonus roll was a 6, which landed me on Water Works: Read a book with water on the cover, or where someone turns on the waterworks (i.e., cries) because of an emotional event.  I chose Walking on My Grave by Carolyn Hart for the water on the cover.  Page count: 246

Walking on My Grave - Carolyn HartVes Roundtree seeks Annie Darling’s help when she almost dies in a fall on her stairway. Ves claims to have no enemies but tells Annie that upon her death six islanders will become very wealthy—and all of the heirs have sought advances, which Ves has refused.

Annie and her crew unsuccessfully aim to see if any heir has an alibi for the time when the step was waxed, while Ves invites the heirs to her home. That night one heir drowns, and Ves disappears. There is a smear of blood in her house, and her gun is gone. Police chief Billy Cameron seeks help from Annie and Max to gather up the suspects at Ves’s home, and when the grandfather clock strikes a quarter past seven, a calculating killer will be revealed…

Finally, Moonlight Reader has opened up this weekend to donations to the get out of jail library.  While you can read any short story up to 100 pages to donate, she'll double the payout if you read one that takes place during any war including and after WWI.  I've chosen to do this and read His Last Bow, one of the Sherlock Holmes short stories that can be found in The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.  When first published in The Strand Magazine, it was titled His Last Bow. The War Service of Sherlock Holmes   Page count: 10 pages

The Complete Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan DoyleOn the eve of the First World War, the German agent Von Bork is getting ready to leave England with his vast collection of intelligence, gathered over a four-year period. Von Bork will be received in Berlin as a hero, and is merely waiting for one last transaction with his Irish-American informant, Altamont: naval signals.