jenn

Murder by Death

My Dewey Bonus Reads

After a dig through the TBR, I came up with the following for my Dewey's bonus reads:

For the first square:

I'm going with Michelangelo's Ghost by Gigi Pandian.  I'm not 100% certain it's a real ghost, but the title and the summary all allude to a ghost story as part of the plot.

Michelangelo's Ghost - Gigi PandianCan treasure-hunting historian Jaya Jones unmask a killer ghost?

A lost work of art linking India to the Italian Renaissance. A killer hiding behind a centuries-old ghost story. And a hidden treasure in Italy’s macabre sculpture garden known as the Park of Monsters…

When Jaya’s old professor dies under eerie circumstances shortly after discovering manuscripts that point to a treasure in Italy’s Park of Monsters, Jaya and her brother pick up the trail. From San Francisco to the heart of Italy, Jaya is haunted by a ghost story inexorably linked to the masterpieces of a long-dead artist and the deeds of a modern-day murderer. Untrustworthy colleagues, disappearing boyfriends, and old enemies—who can Jaya trust when the ghost wails?

For the second square:

I found a book that covers both the tree on the cover and the author's initials in "TARZAN":  August Folly by Angela Thirkell

August Folly (Virago Modern Classics) - Angela Thirkell

In this delightful summertime comedy from Angela Thirkell's classic 1930s Barsetshire series, Oxford student Richard Tebben is won over by the dashing Dean family   It is August in the Barsetshire village of Worsted, and Richard Tebben, just down from Oxford, is contemplating the gloomy prospect of a long summer in the parental home. But the numerous and impossibly glamorous Dean family—exquisite Rachel, her capable husband, and six of their nine brilliant children—have come for the holidays, and their hostess Mrs. Palmer plans to rope everyone into performing in her disastrous annual Greek play. Surrounded by the appealing, irrepressible Deans, Richard and his sister Margaret cannot help but have their minds broadened, spirits raised, and hearts smitten.

And finally, for the last square:  Blade Bound by Chloe Neill which takes place in Chicago, with its El.  This one makes me the happiest, because I'm dying to read this one.

Blade Bound - Chloe NeillThe thirteenth and final book in the New York Times bestselling series featuring Merit and Ethan.

Since Merit was turned into a vampire at the tender age of twenty-seven, she’s become the protector of House Cadogan and saved the city of Chicago over and over again. Through it all, she’s had her lover, and friend, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan, by her side.

But then Ethan is violently attacked, seemingly by someone in the throes of a dark magic. And as that magic spreads across the city, Merit finds herself in a fight to the death for everything she loves.