jenn

Murder by Death

Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)

Silence Fallen - Patricia Briggs

Mercy is kidnapped by vampires and is taken to Europe, where she escapes, but has no clothes, no money and no passport and must stay on the run until Adam can find her and neutralise the threat to herself and her pack.

I'll admit I was less enthusiastic about this one that I normally am about the books in this series, because my first thoughts ran along the lines of 'oh, yay.  Woman in peril who must fight to survive and over come obstacles over and over again.'

I could not have been more wrong.  Yes, there are perils and obstacles, but they are more than balanced out by moments of control and action and intelligence.  This book was also far more about political negotiations and intelligence analysis, if you'll excuse the out-of-place term here, and I loved that.  This felt like a far more intelligent novel that the previous books.

And for the first time in I can't even remember how long, I was totally blown away by the twist.  Never. saw. that. coming.  I actually exclaimed 'holy sh*t!' out loud.  Well played, Briggs.  Absolutely brilliant.

There wasn't anything I didn't thoroughly enjoy in this book; I had no complaints at all.