jenn

Murder by Death

Why I Read - DNF (for now, at least)

Why I Read: The Serious Pleasure of Books - Wendy Lesser

I was off to the hair salon today and all the books I'm currently reading are bricks, so I grabbed this one off the pile to take with me.  Fortunately, I had my iPhone and some ebooks for backup, because this isn't quite the book I expected it to be.

Instead of an essay-type of read that, as the pull quote on the cover says is, "as if Lesser were writing to a friend about the most fabulous literary party of all time", what I got was more of an in-depth literary dissection.  A break-down of what's under the hood.

Discussing literature on this level is, to me, akin to revealing how magic tricks are done.  Interesting but ultimately it dulls the shine a bit.  Lesser's writing seems skilled; I only got about half-way through chapter 1 and then skimmed the first couple of pages of chapters 2 and 3 before putting it away and reaching for my iBooks app.

It's not going into the big black box of disappointment yet, though.  I might come back to it at a future date, when I'm feeling more academic.