jenn

Murder by Death

Reading progress update: I've read 17 out of 286 pages.

Horologicon - Mark Forsyth

At page 4 I knew I was going to love this book, at page 5 I knew MT was going to be screwed because there was NO way he was going to avoid hearing all the good bits.  Mark Forsyth starts off with a bang with:

FEAGUE; To feague a horse; to put ginger up a horse's fundament, and formally, as it is said, a live eel, to make him lively and carry his tail well; it is said that a forfeit is incurred by any horse dealer's servant, who shall show a horse without first feaguing him.

Next time you see a horse stepping lively you might try not to imagine ginger and eels.

As some of you might remember, I'm trying to single handedly bring back the obscure word nackle-ass and to this goal I'm adding at least one more term that desperately needs to regain its prominence in our vocabularies:

SNOLLYGOSTER:  A shrewd, unprincipled person, esp. a politician... A fellow who wants office, regardless of party, platform or principles, and who, whenever he wins, gets there by the sheer force of monumental talknophical assumnacy.

Sound like anyone we know?  I say down with nackle-assed snollygosters!!

And up with Mark Forsyth's Horologicon. 13 pages in and it's 5 stars already!