jenn

Murder by Death

Ten Bookish Questions

I just read 's take on these questions and I'm looking forward to reading everyone else's.  These are fun and they get you thinking - and adding books to the TBR.

It looks like credit for starting this goes to Bookloving Writer.

1. What book is on your nightstand now?

Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader and Lost Among the Living.

2. What was the last truly great book that you read?

Yeesh.  I don't know.  Truly great... truly great implies to me writing and content that changed my view of the world; altered or expanded my perceptions or beliefs.  The closest I can come to this is Patriot Games by Tom Clancy and Written in Red by Anne Bishop.  Are either of these truly extraordinary?  No.  But both permanently affected me on a level deeper than pure reading enjoyment; the former by delving into the philosophical distinction between a terrorist from a common criminal and the latter by coalescing my thoughts on the effect humanity and its insatiable need is having on Earth itself.

3. If you could meet any writer – dead or alive – who would it be? And what would you want to know?

I'm generally not excited about meeting my favourite authors, although I did pony up the money to hear Bill Bryson speak a few years ago.  But I guess Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would top the list although I don't know what exactly I'd want to know.  Perhaps just the chance to have a conversation without purpose and enjoy wherever it takes us.

4. What books might we be surprised to find on your shelves?

MT bought me a 365 days of the Kama Sutra (or some such name) as a gag gift last year (because it was our "paper" anniversary), now making it necessary to have an "emergency friend" sanitise my library in the event of my untimely demise - at least before my Catholic mother went through it.

On the flip side, I guess some might find it surprising that I have a few religious texts, since I don't much talk about my personal faith.

5. How do you organize your personal library?

It's currently in a state of flux; I have had it sorted by broad genre, then alphabetical by author.  I've been re-cataloguing my library and I think I might sort by sub-genre (historical, paranormal, etc.)  Maybe.  My non-fiction is sorted by subject / author.

6. What book have you always meant to read and haven’t gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?

Lots of titles.  I've yet to read Mark Twain or Brontë (any of them).  No embarrassment though; I'd only be embarrassed if I didn't read at all.

7. Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you were supposed to like but didn't? Do you remember the last book you put down without finishing?

I HATE Animal Farm.  I loathed every word of it.

My last DNF was Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris; the stories were good, but the writing was florid and melodramatic.

8. What kinds of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

I'm drawn to stories that don't take themselves too seriously.  I don't like being emotionally manipulated and I think a truly great story will evoke the emotions it's meant to evoke without the author forcing it.  If that makes any sense.

I stay away from horror, most pure romance, psychological thrillers and science fiction.  I burned up my interest in political thrillers after reading the Jack Ryan series.

9. If you could require the prime minister to read one book, what would it be?

I can't answer this.  As an American I'd have to comment on US political leaders (or potential ones) and as much as I believe in the power of the written word, I don't think there's just one book with the power to change the lunatics currently running for office.

10. What do you plan to read next?

I just started Lost Among the Living last night and Hammered this morning.  Not sure what I'll pick up after those.