jenn

Murder by Death

New books for week of May 13

Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities - Steven Gilbar Gone With the Witch - Heather Blake The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession - Allison Hoover Bartlett Marked Masters - Ritter Ames

These are the four that arrived this week in the post.  The last two of the books about books, and two new-in-series cozies.

New books: 4

Books read: 4

Total physical TBR: 214

I'm also in the process of overhauling my entire physical library.  I realised awhile ago that while I am fanatical about entering my new books into the library-database software I use (why is barcode scanning so fun?), I've been rather lax about removing books I've given away over the past couple of years.  Since this particular database is only used to track books I own, not my reading, it's now woefully inaccurate.

So I've worked up the motivation to create a new database from scratch, scanning in each book on my shelves, and while I'm at it, updating or correcting any weird data.  I've also created a new shelving organisation in the database by subject (the old one used author) and I'm going to re-arrange my physical shelves to more closely align with the new db.

A few weeks ago, I read On the Heartbreaking Difficulty of Getting Rid of Books, an article on LitHub about the author's reading of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.  In general, I disagree with the categorisation of books as objects, but the article stuck with me as I started this project, and I found myself inadvertently thinking to myself "meh" when I pulled certain books off the shelves, or sometimes I felt nothing at all.  So a happy by-product of this re-organisation is that my big black box is overflowing with books to give away, and I've gained a significant amount of shelf space and I'm only 1/4 of the way in.  The shelf space is fleeting; I have more books in my TBR than my black box, but it's definite progress.