jenn

Murder by Death

Reading progress update: I've read 212 out of 407 pages.

The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: And Other True Stories of Trauma, Madness, Affliction, and Recovery That Reveal the Surprising History of the Human Brain - Sam Kean

I'm about half-way through, and except for a few sections that outlined experiments on animals that I skimmed, doing a mental "la-la-la", I am loving this book! The section on phantom limbs was familiar, as I'd read the study about mirror treatment before, but was still full of fascinating stuff.

The laughing disease chapter was morbidly riveting, tapping into my biggest fears and reminding me of an X-files episode.  It has something for everyone, while doing a very excellent job of explaining how prion diseases work.

So far, a 4.5 star read (1/2 for the animal experiments - not the author's fault, but still, I just can't deal with that crap no matter how beneficial it can be argued to have been).