jenn

Murder by Death

Just Killing Time (Clock Shop Mystery, #1)

Just Killing Time - Julianne Holmes

Best first in a new series I've read in a long time.

Ruth’s grandfather instilled in her a love of timepieces. Unfortunately after her grandmother died and he remarried, Ruth and Grandpa Thom became estranged. She’s wanted to reconnect after her recent divorce, but sadly her grandfather has been found dead after a break-in at his shop—and the police believe he was murdered.

Ruth has been named the heir to Grandpa Thom’s clock shop, the Cog & Sprocket, in the small Berkshire town of Orchard, Massachusetts. As soon as she moves into the small apartment above the shop and begins tackling the heaps of unfinished work, Ruth finds herself trying to stay on the good side of Grandpa’s bossy gray cat, Bezel, while avoiding the step-grandmother she never wanted.

I really have no complaints; it was a solid story with fleshed out characters, an air of romantic interest, but no sign of a love triangle.  I found the whole horology angle incredibly interesting and I find myself more curious now about old clocks.  I guessed the murderer pretty early on, but not because the author played fast and loose with clues; rather there was a subtle difference to one of the characters that just made me think "that one".  It wasn't obvious though, so I enjoyed reading to the end in order to find out if I was right.

Additionally, this is the first book I can remember reading in recent memory that didn't have editing errors so blatant that they stopped me in my reading tracks.  Nice.

I'm looking forward to the next book with hope that Ms. Holmes has another solid mystery on offer.