jenn

Murder by Death

My bucket list is covered in feathers and fur...

My SIL and I took my nieces to a local Australian wildlife sanctuary yesterday; I love the place and never get tired of it, and it's the first time they'd been.

While my SIL was trying to wrangle the youngest one, I took the 4 year old into the parrot aviary, thinking to distract her for a few minutes by watching the pretty birds fly around.  Instead, when we walked in, one of the sanctuary employees was standing there feeding a black cockatoo and when we approached he simply just said "can you put your arm out?" and the big bird just hopped on over to me and we stood there for I-don't-know-how-long feeding that great, beautiful bird:

I didn't get pictures of the male one I was feeding, since my SIL was still outside daughter wrangling, but she did appear in time to take a photo of me bonding and feeding the female.

A bit about Black Cockatoos: The red-tailed black cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii) also known as Banksian- or Banks' black cockatoo, is a large black cockatoo native to Australia. Adult males have a characteristic pair of bright red panels on the tail that gives the species its name.

The female has those yellow spots all along it's body, but the male is pure black with that distinctive red tail.  I also made great friends with another parrot, one so colourful he might as well have been painted.  Sadly, I was so giddy I missed out on his name and breed, which is just embarrassing.  But he was stunning!  Below is a pic of the Black Cockatoo I took after our visit, and one of that gorgeous parrot sitting on my shoulder.

Edit:  Thanks to KrazyKiwi for identifying the green parrot as an Eclectus.